Nom, nom, nom. Feeding time is not always easy with little ones once they start solid foods. We waited until our son was 6 months to feed him his first “solid” food and I remember it was avocado puree. He ate some but when we fed him sweet potato puree the next meal, he ate it all and wanted more. Right then and there our son had his first favorite food. Boy did he love his sweet potatoes. He could eat 1.5 big potatoes each day!
Here are some of my best mealtime tips with baby that I learned along the way as a first-time-mom:
#1 Baby Food is Easy to Make
Homemade baby food is healthier and cheaper; it doesn’t require much time either especially if you prep ahead. I got the Baby Bullet for my baby shower and I really love it! I’m used to the Nutribullet so using this was just as easy. Plus, it’s very compact.
Favorite Homemade Baby Food Recipe:
- Organic sweet potatoes cut in half and roasted on parchment paper flesh-side down for 60 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Scoop out the cooked potato, add some formula or breast-milk, and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Blend in baby bullet until smooth.
- It comes out so creamy, sweet, and it’s very healthy.
NOTE: The tablespoon of coconut oil took our baby’s constipation away! It worked like a charm for us! Ever since then no issues to date and he’s a toddler now.
$49 - Baby Bullet
#2 Use the Right Baby Bib
I've tried a TON of bibs. You know that yummy sweet potato puree my son loved so much? Well, it stains SO BADLY. BUT, I found a solution.
First, you have to have the right bib. The bibs at the store simply did not cover my son enough to keep his drips and dribbles from landing on his clothing plus none of them were eco-friendly.
Our bib is the ultimate full-coverage best baby bib.
- 2-in-1 design: top part is waterproof with a high neck so clothes are protected and also it’s great to avoid food irritations on the skin. Second is the snap-on silicone crumb catcher.
- Multi-point stain protection – high neck, capped shoulder sleeves, and wide food catcher.
- Easy to clean and travel with – it folds up and snaps closed right inside the silicone tray.
- Every bib purchased, we donate 75 meals to hungry kids around the world and right here in the US.
$15.99 (SALE from $19.99)
Click to buy the best baby bib that protects clothes from getting stained.
#3 Keep Food in Place
Watch the bowl carefully or it could end up on the floor with your baby giggling. I love the ezpe Tiny Bowl that suctions to the highchair tray. The bowl is perfect for first foods, such as purees, yogurt and baby cereal, and also supports the baby-led weaning method of feeding.
- Suction feature decreases tipped bowls and plates
- Stable base promotes self-feeding and develops fine motor skills
- Mat fits ALL highchair trays, including the Stokke Tripp Trapp and Boon Flair
- Perfect for all first food approaches, including baby-led weaning
- Compact and lightweight for dinners out and travel
- Packaged in a reusable bag that is ezpz to pop in your diaper bag
$14.99 - ezpz
Click to buy the best baby bowl that suctions to highchair tray.
#4 Don’t Drop That!
As babies get older their toys, bowls, and cups get tossed on the floor and the drop game begins! Not to mention the germs especially when things are dropped in public.
A fellow mom friend told me about this cool solution to keep toys, snack bowls, and cups from every dropping on the floor. It’s a tether from that adjusts to secure any item like teethers, spoons, sippy cups, toys and more. Lil’ Sidekick is the company who invented this – how clever! They also have this unique teether that tastes like a fruit smoothie.
Feeding time is fun, but can be stressful at times, but with a little patience and some genius mom inventions (thank you moms!) mealtime can be a breeze.
$9.99 – Sippy Cup & More Holder
Click to buy sippy cup toy holder.
$7.99 – Yummeez Flavored Teethers
Click to buy good tasting teethers for baby.
What are your best tips for baby mealtime or baby's first foods? Follow @thelittlemonkeycompany on Instagram to join in on the conversation and see more tips like the above. Can't wait to see photos of your little monkey! Tag us and add the hashtag #mylittlemonkey so we can share